Sponsorship

Heelwork To Music Team GB 2011 arrived home very happy.

HTM Team GB WON GOLD in the HTM Open European Championship with Karen Sykes and Fly winning GOLD in the Individual HTM Open Championship. All the Team's dogs made the Top Ten - a credit to them all. Angus placed 5th and Amber in 10th.

In the Freestyle - HTM Team GB were placed 4th - with Lesley and Angus being placed 4th in the Individual Championship and Spice in 7th place.

The Team did very well raising funds in the very short space of time available and would once again like to thank EVERYONE who contributed and supported the team.

Friday 26 August 2011

Introducing The Team - Karen Sykes and Fly HTM

Karen Sykes and
Iatka Spring Spangle HTM A Ex



I have 3 dogs, 2 Working Sheepdogs and 1 rescue crossbreed. Kes is 13 years old and has been in the top 10 Freestyle dogs in the UK for many years, she has competed at Crufts every year since the Finals began. Kes is still keen to dance & continues to compete although a little less often these days. She has qualified for the Crufts semi finals again this year which is a wonderful achievement for a dog of her age. I am sure that she will tell me when she is ready to retire but it seems that the time is not yet - I am so proud of her! Erin is a 2 year old rescue crossbreed. We don’t know what breeds are mixed into her but she is a great comic with an amazing personality. Initial illness & behaviour problems made for a slow start in the sport but she is now working her way through the classes and doing very well. The dog that I am taking to the Open European Championships in Denmark is Fly who is a 10 year old Working Sheepdog. Fly is a very fast and intense dog who anticipates everything which makes training a real challenge and lots of fun. Sadly Fly has had problems with skin allergies for years which have been very difficult and expensive to manage but I still wouldn’t swap her for the world. Around the home you could not wish for a more loving and well behaved dog, she is a real joy to live with. Fly has competed at Crufts every year since the very first competition in her speciality of Heelwork to Music. Our proudest moment together was winning the Crufts Heelwork to Music competition in 2008. I first competed in 2001 when Kes and I won the Starters Freestyle class. I also had my first judging appointment in that year too. I have continued to compete, judge and teach but never did I imagine back then where this sport would take me. Thanks to HTM I have travelled the world with my friend Kath Hardman, holding seminars and judging which has resulted in our making many great friends through this fabulous sport.

What I love about Heelwork to Music and Freestyle is that it is the only dog sport where you can do exactly what you want to within the rules and let your imagination run free. You can show-case the individuality of your dog and never have to perform a move that the dog doesn’t like. Dogs, dancing and music are a magical combination which gives so much joy to many!

I cannot finish my profile without mentioning my constant companion, Allan. He has been by my side since 1983 encouraging me in everything I have done, looking after our dogs and helping me to achieve things that I never thought I was capable of. To represent your country is a huge honour and I shall do my very best with Fly but whatever the result, I can be sure of taking the best dog home to my wonderfully supportive family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment